Gus Digital

Just a place where I can give my opinions about Vancouver life and beyond.

Friday, April 27, 2007

Night at the Opera


Last night’s performance of Puccinni’s Tosca performed by the Vancouver Opera was highly enjoyable. I was thoroughly impressed by the costumes, set decorations and the performances of the 3 main characters (Tosca played by Cynthia Lawrence, Cavaradossi played by Renzo Zulian and the villian Scarpia played by Yalun Zhang). I won’t get into any details about the plot as you can find the synopsis here.

At times I have to admit I felt like I was watching a Soap Opera (hmmm maybe that is why they came up with that name). The melodramatic moments and the over emphasis was sometimes comical to watch. I know this isn’t proper “Opera Etiquette” but it was an experience.

Russ and I did comment at the end when Cynthia Lawrence (who plays Flora Tosca) had her “bow”, purely a “Diva Moment” devouring the audiences' applause. It reminded me of Mimmie Drivers’ version of Carlotta in the movie Phantom of the Opera. For all of you who didn’t see the movie, her famous line is “they Lovaba me, they Lovaba me” (strong Italian accent) HAHAHAHA.

Any ways this was a great performance and I had a fantastic time. I will definitely see another one, but I will have to see what the 2007/2008 Season will bring. I do believe La Boehme will be one of them.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home